SketchUp- Exporting/Converting to STL (2013 and Before)
This solution will walk you through how to convert a SketchUp file into an STL file. A SketchUp file is designated by the (.SKP) as the end of the file name. An STL file will need to be used to 3D print your designed object.
This plugin is also compatible with: SkeinForge, FreeMill, Vectric Cut-3D, Roland Modela Player, Boxford’s 3D GeoCAM, Carvewright Designer software, DeskProtoLite, MeshCAM Art, Art Cam.
1a) Install the STL Exporter to download the plugin.
2A) SketchUp Make, SketchUp 2013 , SketchUp 8 maintenance release 2 (RBZ file)
- Download the RBZ version of the plugin (skp_to_dxf.rbz) to the hard drive – it is a zipped file but don’t extract it. Then in SketchUp, click on the install extensions button. It’s found under Preferences > Extensions > Install Extension. Clicking this button will bring up a file browser window where you can can select “skp_to_dxf.rbz” from your hard drive, and SketchUp will then install it automatically.
2B) SketchUp 6, 7, 8 and SketchUp Make (Sketchup 2013)
- This is an alternative method which will work on all versions including 6 and 7. To install the plugin you need to download the file above (skp_to_dxf.rb) to your Sketchup plugins folder. This installation method will work with Sketchup 6, 7, 8 and Sketchup Make (Sketchup 2013).
- Location of the Sketchup plugins folder, [VERSION] stands for the version number of Sketchup (6, 7, 8 or 2013).
- On a Windows PC. If you have installed Sketchup on the C: drive then this folder will be at C:program filesgooglegoogle sketchup [VERSION]plugins.
- On Mac OSX. The sketchup plugins folder is /Library/Application Support/Google SketchUp [VERSION]/SketchUp/Plugins
3) After the plugin has been installed, reopen SketchUp. Then select the object to be 3D printed by triple clicking; This should make the entire object highlighted in blue.
4) Click on the dropdown menu for “Tools” and select “Export to DXF or STL”.
5) Use the dropdown menu to set the export units to “Millimeters”
6) Use the dropdown menu to set the file type to “stl”
7) A new window will open up for you to save the file. Make sure to type the name “PART.STL” and include the (.STL) as a part of the name. Then select the “Save as Type” as an STL file. Then click “Save”.
8) If steps 1-6 have been done correctly, a new window will open up similar to the one below.
Please open a Tech Ticket if you have any questions or need assistance with this process.