The countdown to Christmas continues with our 25 Days of Materials, up next is LayWOO-D3.
Tis the season to be jolly, join the Wolfpack in a fun 25 Days of Materials 3D printing countdown to Christmas and learn about 25 different materials and their unique properties! The objects to be 3D printed are part of the Advent Calendar/Christmas Tree designed by pleppik. Everyday we will be unveiling a new part of the Advent Calendar and talking about a different special 3D printing material.
Day 11: Gingerbread House. 3D Printing with LayWOO-D3
LayWOO-D3 is a wood-based 3D printing filament. It is a wood/polymer composite. This
filament contains 40% recycled wood and harmless binding polymers. LayWOO-D3 has similar thermal durability with PLA. While your 3D prints are rooted in technology, they can also achieve a more natural appearance when printed with LayWOO-D3 wooden filament.
Some interesting facts about LayWOO-D3:
- High flow properties.
- Can be sanded, painted and ground.
- There’s no need to use desiccant or store in a sealed bag.
3D Printing with LayWOO-D3: Tips and Tricks
- No heated bed necessary.
- We recommend setting your hot end temperature between 175 °C and 200 °C.
- Alternating the temperature during the print time will make the color vary, obtaining a ‘grainy’ look.
- Add extra extrusion at the start of your print. It’s going to help prevent dry extrusion during some of the initial layers.
- LayWOO-D3 filament is fragile and breaks quite easily, so you need to pay special attention when feeding it into the extruder.
FINISHING TECHNIQUES WHEN 3D PRINTING WITH LayWOO-D3:
Finished prints with LayWOO-D3 smell and look like wood and can also be handled like wood.
- Varying the temperature settings on the extruder allows you to obtain different finishes on the wood texture of your print. A higher temperature will create a darker color and the parts extruded at lower temperatures will get a lighter finish.
- Printed parts in LayWOO-D3 will harden over time, for more delicate parts allow them to cool for about 30-60 minutes.
Are you ready to start 3D Printing with LayWOO-D3? Awesome! You can buy some
LayWOO-D3 filament from MatterHackers at https://www.matterhackers.com/store/3d-printer-filament/175mm-wood-filament-light-cherry-0.25-kg.
MORE MATERIALS TO FOLLOW!
Below is a chart listing the 3D printing filaments we will be discussing over the next 25 Days of Materials.
Did you like this article about 3D Printing with LayWOO-D3 and are you interested in learning more about 3D printing materials? Then sign up for our newsletter to receive your daily dose of 3D printing material knowledge – happening only this month!